Thursday, February 12, 2009

Happy, uh, Valentine's Day... I'm sorry

I am dating someone who I really care about. We have our issues as any couple does, but we are really determined to discuss them and to work towards solutions. We both aim to be as honest with each other as possible and are usually successful at that. There is something however that I have not been able to effectively express to him, and it is causing me quite a bit of emotional turmoil.
In the past, my boyfriend has had a bad habit of essentially acting almost ambivilant to my feelings. He would act surprised if I was upset when he broke longstanding plans at the last second. If I dared to complain, he would accuse me of being selfish. Now, I have been upfront with him about how both those actions made me feel, and though some soul-baring conversations, I think we have addressed the underlying issues related to his behaviour in those situations (and mine, as well).
Here is the current issue, though. Basically, I cannot shake the feeling that he is always going to let me down like that, even when he hasn't in quite a long time. If we are meeting up for coffee, and he is a few minutes late, I become convinced that he isn't coming. If he invites me to dinner, until I'm sitting across from him at the table, I am always sure that he will break the date. Valentines Day is coming up, and I'm not at all excited at the prospect of a romantic (cliched, I am aware) night, because I don't think that it will happen. I don't know how to be honest with him about these feelings, because how can you tell someone that you are pretty sure they are going to act like a dick even if they don't deserve it? History does tend to repeat itself, but I want to trust him enough that in this case it won't. I don't know how I can do that though.



It’s really funny how we can come to regard our partner as our worst enemy. We are most vulnerable to them, both because they have a certain access to our lives, and because they are our loved ones and we care so much about what they think and how they feel about us.

When the time comes for him to do something -- or a series of things -- hugely hurtful to you, this emotional power he has over you becomes apparent, and it starts to hang over your relationship like a big awful ugly… hanging… thing… and it can lead you to close yourself off and guard against hurt more and more, effectively reducing your emotional investment in the relationship until it dries up and blows away, completely bloodless.

You know that’s kind of what risks happening here, right? Besides feeling quite miserable yourself, you’re damaging your relationship by expecting the worst, and you stand to hurt it even more if you give him the impression that the strides he’s made don’t matter because you’re still not happy.

You want to know how to express this feeling to him? Here's a very unpopular stance for an advice blogger to take, what with all the honesty and openness rhetoric to be absorbed out there: you should actually button it. I think if you want to continue to see this person romantically, this feeling you have, about how you’re scared he’s going to let you down again, is not worth feeling, and therefore not worth discussing with him.

‘You are such a bitch,' some shocked person is saying out there. 'They are her feelings. How can she help what she feels?'

Well, not easily, but you know what? Anybody can feel a feeling. Just because you feel something doesn’t mean there’s anything very special or inherently right about it. She tells her boyfriend that she’s still waiting for him to let her down. Great. What does he do with that? What does he say to that?

“O.K. lovernut, I’ll just keep doing what I’m doing but with this big old useless bad feeling you just gave me to make everything harder! Way to spread the pessimism you’re feeling to me! Hope it made you feel better! See you at dinner! NOT THAT YOU'RE EXPECTING ME TO MAKE IT. THANKS FOR HAVING NO FAITH IN ME.”

Back to you: as you have written here yourself, despite this unpleasant apprehension you feel saddled with, there is currently nothing for you to correct about his behaviour that has not already been corrected. If he's doing alright so far, it doesn’t help him to hear what you’ve already said, it may just hurt him and discourage him, and you don’t have any guarantee that if you tell him what you’re thinking it’ll even help you all that much. Really: Just don’t, O.K.? Not unless a) he actually screws up again and he needs another reminder of how this makes you feel, or b) you're ready to dump him. It sounds like he's doing his best so far, and that you're not planning to dump him, so it's on you now.

How do you shake the feeling? Consider this:

If he does manage to disappoint you someday down the road (and I see that you know that there is a chance he will. Lots of people want to say that life is short but from where I sit, it’s pretty long actually, and there’s no limit to the shit that can go down in this span of time), it actually will not kill you to be disappointed again. That’s life, and that's what forgiveness is for, and if he's worth anything he will not abuse the forgiveness principle.

And that's another thing: Have you forgiven him for what happened before? Do you know what it means to truly forgive? It isn't a matter of just deciding to not exact revenge on him for disservices rendered. It's deciding that his intentions are the best, and trusting that he wants to do what he says he will, and having faith that he will do what he says he will. You should not be with someone you can’t forgive.

I understand that it’s not your fault he hurt you in the first place, and you’re justified in feeling a little bit guarded after the shit time you’ve had with him in the past, but do you want to be justified, or do you want things to work out with him? If you don’t have faith in him, you don’t have much of a relationship. If you cannot let his past behaviour go and trust in his good intentions, if you cannot tolerate any more screw-ups in the future, things may be ruined between you, and you might as well go your separate ways.

Maybe that'll motivate you.

No comments:

Post a Comment